Skip to main content

Is it possible to change a conviction to a not guilty plea for a speeding ticket?

Ballston Spa, NY |

My son plead guilty to a speeding ticket (63 in 45). We did not know that in addition to the fines that he would also get a 60 day suspension for this ticket. The ticket came 3 days before his 18th birthday when he would get his senior license. The judge told him the fine, but did not state anything about the suspension. Is it possible to get this reconsidered after he has already plead guilty in court to the judge?

Attorney Answers 4


Yes, your son or his traffic lawyer can make a motion to vacate guilty plea (called a motion for coram nobis). We've done this many times but not always successfully. While some courts are liberal about granting vacatur others are not.

Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

8 lawyers agree


The short answer is possibly.
An attorney would have to file a motion.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


This is why people should always consult with and retain a lawyer for a speeding ticket. There are severe consequences such as this and a huge insurance increase when an assigned risk driver gets a ticket. A Coram nobis motion is what needs to be done, and we can do it for you.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


It's possible if like the other attorneys stated, the judge grants your motion. Once granted we would try to plead it down to a non-moving violation that would not take him off the road or in the alternative try the original speeding case, in that case he would be either guilty or not guilty after trial.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics