Skip to main content

Is it possible to avoid getting an Ignition Interlock Device installed in my vehicle? First DUI offense, but i didn't blow.

Shawnee, OK |

My offence really pertains to marijuana, I lucked out and got a DUI instead of possession (what with me being a college student). I've paid my fines, finished DUI school and VIP, my next court date is Aug 15, on that date my sentence will be reduced to public intox...I really don't want an IID installed, I don't really drink and the cost will be tough next semester. I know that DPS handles the IID not the court...can a lawyer help me this late in the game?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In most state you only have a certain timeframe to challenge license revocations/suspensions (i.e., 30 days from receiving notice). Thus, I do not know if an attorney can help you at this point but it doesn't hurt to consult one. If you want to find one in your area here on AVVO you can select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.


Consult with an attorney who specializes in DUI defense in your area, which you can find easily on this website.


If you refuse when asked to blow its a one year automatic restriction

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer