Skip to main content

Is it possible to appeal a "other than honorable discharge" from the Navy

Sulphur Springs, TX |

I received an Other Than Honorable discharge from the Navy in 1986 with the charge of drug abuse-use. I want to upgrade to Honorable. I have read several articles and find that for the most part only a review of the circumstances at the time are considered. My question is what are the avenues that I will need to pursue to achieve the upgrade and how can I factor in life changes ? I have served in the fire service as a public servant for 20 years and retired with rank. I am hoping there is a way to include life history in pursuit of this change.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. There are avenues to appeal to the service for an upgrade to your discharge level, including up to Federal court (although that is more of a last resort). Make sure you have all your service records, if not, then you should write to the Department of the Navy to get them. An attorney can help you prepare an appeal. Another poster recommended William Cassara (, I can personally recommend Bill as well. Bill practices exclusively in military law and is very good at it.

    There are many lawyers that practice in this area, check out the websites, reputations and rates of a few attorneys and see if they can help you out.

    The Allen Law Firm

    This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship, but is offered solely for informational purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is important to seek out qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege so that competent and tailored advice can be provided.

Military law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics