Skip to main content

Is it possible to adjust F-1 visa to Asylum after 365 days of enterance?

Riverside, CA |

My student friend from Iran is convering from Islam to Christianity. He was here for more than one year and less than two years. When I encouraged him to file for religious Asylum we realized the condition is that he should have applied no more than 365 days after he entered here in US. He is here by F-1 student visa and never knew anything about Christianity so far. Did he lose his chance to file for Asylum status?

Attorney Answers 3


The key here is to have a competent immigration attorney do an analysis to see whether you can calculate the 365 days starting with the date of your friends conversion. As noted by one of the other attorneys, a significant change in YOUR FRIEND'S circumstances or the COUNTRY'S conditions might allow a calculation of the 365 days from a different starting point.

It does not pay to dither around with this one; the clock is ticking. You should chat with a competent immigration attorney.

I must remind you that although I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney. The information I am providing you is general information about the law. If you would like specific information or advice, I am going to suggest that you make an appointment to come in, or call, to chat with us.

Mark as helpful


Usually, filing for asylum I-589 in the United States after one year deadline takes additional steps of showing the exact changes in the circumstances or the country conditions in questions that did not permit to file within the required one year.
Then the Service will review the above and will either accept the filing or reject it as insufficient.
Usually, such an asylum case requires a more detailed preparation to show the requisite reasons that may satisfy the USCIS as valid explanations requested in such cases.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with my colleague.

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics