Is it possible my auto insurance agency did a fraud?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pasadena, CA

I just moved my auto insurance to another company. I asked for my insurance record from my old agency many times, but he just didn't do it. I finally got one online and found my old insurance company paid a lot of money to the opposite party of an accident i ever involved. But i know i was not the fault side of the accident. And also this company is famous for its bad organization and fraud. So i am just wondering if it is possible my old agency or someone from the company stole the money on behalf of the accident i involved.

1. Aaron M. Dawson

1

1

Answered . Generally speaking, the answer to your question 'is it possible my auto insurance agency did a fraud,' is always yes. Insurance companies have enormous financial incentives to defraud their clients, even for a relatively small amount of money, because these practices can net them many millions of dollars over the course of a year.
    From your question it is somewhat unclear as to what your involvement in the accident was and what your insurer did. With that said, fraud is the act of knowingly representing something false to someone else, with the intention (and effect of) gaining an advantage, usually financial, over them. If your insurer told you or implied something to you (or concealed something), that they knew was not true, and you acted on it to your detriment - then they have engaged in fraud. However, if the company simply made a mistake, that is not fraud but something more like negligence, which may give you sufficient grounds to sue them in court.

2. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

1

Answered . Simply the answer is YES.

3. Arthur James Park

1

Answered . Although it is possible that someone at the old insurance company stole money by using your accident, I'm not sure how that harmed you. The only thing that comes to mind is a slightly higher premium. Also note that insurance comapnies have a lot of discretion in settling claims/cases; even a 25-40% chance of being at fault can result in a settlment.

General advice based on limited facts. No attorney-client relationship created.