Is it possible for the Attorney General's Office to collect child support from the father's common law wife?

San Antonio, TX |

He hasn't paid in 3 years and is not working, at least he's not working legitimately that the state knows of. The office of attorney general said that they've been sending letters to pay. I gave them his current address and they asked if he lives with a family member. I told them it's his common law wife and he's lived there for 10 years. They asked for her name, since it's her house, they are now going to serve her with papers. They weren't very nice or helpful and made me feel stupid so I just didn't asked what those papers are for. To pay? To show up at court to pay? I don't know.

1. There is no reason the father's common law wife should have anything to do with you support problems. She has no obligation to pay you. Since you didn't ask what the OAG was talking about there is no way to know what they intent to do.

For educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship was created by this communication.

Child support topics