Skip to main content

Is it possible for the Attorney General's Office to collect child support from the father's common law wife?

San Antonio, TX |
Filed under: Child support

He hasn't paid in 3 years and is not working, at least he's not working legitimately that the state knows of. The office of attorney general said that they've been sending letters to pay. I gave them his current address and they asked if he lives with a family member. I told them it's his common law wife and he's lived there for 10 years. They asked for her name, since it's her house, they are now going to serve her with papers. They weren't very nice or helpful and made me feel stupid so I just didn't asked what those papers are for. To pay? To show up at court to pay? I don't know.

Attorney Answers 1


There is no reason the father's common law wife should have anything to do with you support problems. She has no obligation to pay you. Since you didn't ask what the OAG was talking about there is no way to know what they intent to do.

For educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship was created by this communication.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown


The attorneys from your same state are the best source of guidance and up-to-date information. Good luck!

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics