Is it possible for something to be a nuisance when you live with roommates, but not a nuisance when you live alone??

Asked 9 months ago - San Francisco, CA

This is difficult for me to explain, so please bear with me. If you have roommates, and at least one of them complains about you, and claims you're being a nuisance, but what they are alleging wouldn't be considered a nuisance if you were living alone because it's not disturbing other tenants in the building, would that be considered a nuisance? Mainly, is it possible for an allegation to be considered a nuisance when you live with roommates, but that exact same allegation to not be considered a nuisance if you lived alone?

Why are lawyers from Illinois answering this? I'm in California. (No disrespect). Aren't the laws different?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . The law says a nuisance is what a reasonable person would believe it to be, not just the opinion of one roommate.

2. Gary Roger Waitzman

Pro

Answered . Anything can be construed a nuisance. However you do not say howcfar along this issue has gotten. Is your roommate threatening legal action. Is there a lease? You might consider discussing this with more details and a local counsel.