Is it possible for my son who is a US citizen file for my papers after over staying in the US for almost two(2) years.?

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

My son lives in the US and is a citizen. Will it be worth the time and money to do so. Will it take about six to ten years? please give me your advice.

I'm out of the U S.

1. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

6

1

Answered . As the parent of a US citizen, as long as you made a lawful entry, you should be able to adjust your status to that of a lawful permanent resident (get your green card). You should consult with an immigration attorney to determine whether there are any disqualifying factors in your case, such as certain crimes. The process for adjustment of status is currently taking about 6 months.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

1

Answered . Depends whether you are in the USA or outside.

3. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Pro

4

1

Answered . So long as your son is 21 years of age or older he can petition for you. The time frame to process your case will depend whether you are in or out of the United States and if in, whether you were admitted to the U.S. legally or not. Since a parent of a U.S. citizen is exempt from quotas processing time can be as little as 4 to 6 months or could take a year or more depending on your factual situation. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case, advise you what to expect, and recommend how best to proceed.

4. Shahzad Ahmed

3

1

Answered . Hello Sir. I presume that you are in the United States. Your son, if he is 21 years of age, or older, may petition for you and your status violation can be waived. However, please consult with an experienced immigration attorney regarding the details of your case in order to protect yourself. Best regards.

5. J Charles Ferrari

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes

6. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

4

1

Answered . As long as he is over 21 years of age he can petition on your behalf.

7. Jesus Novo III

2

Answered . Your son can petition for you, however it sounds like you may have incurred a 10 year ban. Since you are abroad, you should file the I-130 (you have nothing to lose) and then file a waiver for your ban. If it is granted, you will be issued an I-551, if it's not granted, you will have to serve the 10 years.

8. Norma Lorenzo

1

Answered . Hi hope that you are well. If you entered the US legally and your son is over the age of 21 and a US citizen he could petition for you even if you have overstayed your status. Best of Luck!

9. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

1

Answered . Your son can petition for you if he is over 21 years of age. Since it appears you overstayed for two years and then left the US, you are subject to a ten year bar on reentry. You and your son can file for a waiver of the bar. If it is granted you will be allowed to enter as a Lawful Permanent Resident.