Skip to main content

Is it possible for my mother to have a medical malpractice case?

Bay City, MI |

About 2 years ago, my mother had a shoulder replacement due to her falling..
the doctor told her to keep her arm in a sling for several several months afterwards..
well, its been 2 years since it's "healed" and she still cannot extend or really lift her shoulder/arm,
which makes me think the doctor really screwed her up..

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Contact a medical malpractice attorney right away. Many states have a two year statute of limitations. The length of time your mother has to sue will be based upon state law in the place where the surgery was done. She should contact a medical malpractice lawyer immediately.

    We can be reached at 215-545-2201 The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

  2. Too hard to know from the limited facts if there is something there. Bad results are not necessarily negligence. As Mr Cohen pointed out, most statutes of limitations on malpractice cases are two years, so you may be too late, but only an MI licensed attorney will be able to advise you of any continuing treatment or other exceptions, so do not delay in speaking to an attorney. Today, if possible!

  3. You should consult with a MI malpractice attorney and let him review your mother's medical records but you should do that as soon as possible, because as my colleagues said, most statues of limitations on malpractice cases are two years. Good luck

  4. Hurry and call a local malpractice lawyer. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated lawyer with a low contingency fee.

  5. Medical malpractice cases are pretty tough, so the only way to determine if your mother has a case is to consult with a medical malpractice lawyer. That lawyer will talk with you, may ask to review some medical files, and may even send those files out to an expert for an opinion.

    The first step is to contact a medical malpractice lawyer for an opinion. You should ask for a free consultation.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics