Skip to main content

Is it possible for me to get some sort of visa or permit to be in the united states legal and be able to get a driver license?

Delano, CA |

Iam currently fighting for the custody of my 3 children. the case is unfair because my ex husband is is using the fact that Im illegal and I have no driver license for transportation of our children. I have no family here where I live, so its hard for me to get someone else to drive other than my current fiancé who is working most of the time. I have history of domestic violence with my ex husband. there was multiple times he hit me but I only called the police once. there's a report even though he lied and said it wasn't true, he still spent 3 days in jail. He always threaten to call the immigration on me if i left. one day i couldn't take his abuse anymore so i left him. i really need to fix my immigration status for the best of my kids. im tired of being scared because of that.

I have no bad record. I was brought here illegally by my mom when i was 6 years old, iam now 23 years old. please any advise will help. I am tired of being threaten by my ex husband because of my immigration status. I don't have a high school diploma but I attend adult school occasionally when im able to.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Is your husband a US Citizen or Permanent Resident? If he is, then you might be eligible to file a self-petition for a green card under the Violence Against Women Act. If you are successful with that, you will eventually become a permanent resident (green card). Please consult with an immigration lawyer about it.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  2. I am sorry to hear about your prior abusive relationship. Do you have a final divorce decree? If so, then maybe if your fiance is a US citizen he can file paperwork for you after you get married. It is best to consult an immigration attorney.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. I assume that you're over 31 and/or entered the US after you turned 16 .. therefore, DACA can't help you.

    Talk to your local non-profit immigration center.

    If you are low income go here: or

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics