Is it possible for me to get some sort of visa or permit to be in the united states legal and be able to get a driver license?

Asked about 1 year ago - Delano, CA

Iam currently fighting for the custody of my 3 children. the case is unfair because my ex husband is is using the fact that Im illegal and I have no driver license for transportation of our children. I have no family here where I live, so its hard for me to get someone else to drive other than my current fiancé who is working most of the time. I have history of domestic violence with my ex husband. there was multiple times he hit me but I only called the police once. there's a report even though he lied and said it wasn't true, he still spent 3 days in jail. He always threaten to call the immigration on me if i left. one day i couldn't take his abuse anymore so i left him. i really need to fix my immigration status for the best of my kids. im tired of being scared because of that.

I have no bad record. I was brought here illegally by my mom when i was 6 years old, iam now 23 years old. please any advise will help. I am tired of being threaten by my ex husband because of my immigration status. I don't have a high school diploma but I attend adult school occasionally when im able to.

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

Best Answer

Answered . Is your husband a US Citizen or Permanent Resident? If he is, then you might be eligible to file a self-petition for a green card under the Violence Against Women Act. If you are successful with that, you will eventually become a permanent resident (green card). Please consult with an immigration lawyer about it.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

2

1

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your prior abusive relationship. Do you have a final divorce decree? If so, then maybe if your fiance is a US citizen he can file paperwork for you after you get married. It is best to consult an immigration attorney.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

1

Answered . I assume that you're over 31 and/or entered the US after you turned 16 .. therefore, DACA can't help you.

Talk to your local non-profit immigration center.

If you are low income go here: www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm or http://www.immigrationlawhelp.org/