Is it possible for me to apply for female genital mutilation victim in UTAH?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

i am victim of female genital mutilations in burkina faso,i live in UTAH now.how can i get help.thanks

is it possible for me to apply for the green card in Utah?

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

6

Answered . Female genital mutilation is one of the legally recognized grounds by the U.S. Asylum legal tenets to seek asylum in the United States. Although you may qualify, your case must be presented properly for the relief sought.
    You may explore local law schools for possible entities to accespt your case or find an immigration attorney of your choice in that locale.

2. James Regan

Pro

6

Answered . I am very sorry for the horrors you suffered prior to your escape to the United States. I hope you quality of life and degree of freedom has increased exponentially. Having a Masters of Laws in Intercultural Human Rights Law, and having studied the issue of Female Genital Mutilation, hereinafter [FGM], I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

Burkina Faso has signed the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women, adopted December 18, 1979, 1249 U.N.T.S. 14 (entry into force September 3, 1981) [hereinafter CEDAW].

Burkina Faso is also a signatory to the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women to CEDAW, which means you can file a complaint.

The procedure is found here: http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/cedaw/rules/pa...

The model communication form is found here: http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/cedaw/protocol...

You best bet is to contact this non-govenmental organization (NGO). They can help you pursue an individual claim if one is possible:

Center for Reproductive Rights
    120 Wall Street, 14th Floor
    New York, NY 10005
    United States
    Tel. (212) 637-3600

Also, you may find help from the Director of my alma mater:

Prof. Sigried Wiessner
    St. Thomas University School of Law
    16401 N.W. 37th Avenue
    Miami Gardens, Florida 33054, U.S.A.
    Tel.: (305) 623-2305
    Fax: (305) 474-2413
    E-Mail: swiessner@stu.edu

Best Wishes,

James Regan, LL.M, Esq.
    http://defendme.net

3. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

3

Answered . Dear Avvo user, you have all my sympathy for everything you have been through. I wish you can finally find some relief. I concur with my colleagues. I hope that the people indicated and resources offered may benefit you in some way.

4. David N Shomloo

2

Answered . You should contact the Utah State bar and determine if they have a modest means program. Good luck!