Skip to main content

Is it possible for a relative to assist the PD's 'investigator'? I don't have any confidence in PDs.

Los Angeles, CA |

If my relative is found guilty of criminal threats, I DO NOT want it to be because I was too trusting. I know who and where all of these transient people live, and I could deliver the info straight to this alleged 'investigator'. Just because the PD is burnt out and seen a thousand cases like it, I am more than willing to offer my help for ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY! FREEEEE! Please answer soon, I feel time is of the essence. Oh, we're in L.A.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


If I understand you correctly, you would like to lead this investigation. I'm not sure that's going to happen. Your not exactly a neutral and detached party. I'm sure the investigator will listen to what you have to say, but s/he will decide on how to pursue the investigation.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.


Don't barge into this effort without talking with an attorney. You may cause there to be a taint to evidence that could otherwise have been useful -- or even legally admissible.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.


If you have info about where the witnesses can be located, give that info to the investigator. But do not attempt to interview the witnesses yourself as you could seriously damage the case.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.


Yes, it is possible to help the investigation. You will NOT be allowed to interview witnesses yourself. Your best bet is to contact the PD, tell him/her you know the location of witnesses, and offer to give the information to him/her, or to an investigator. As for the "FREEEEE!" business, you wouldn't be paid for the info in any case. And one more thing: referring to the PD's investigator as "this alleged 'investigator'" isn't going to help you.


Of course, if the relative CAN and WILL help the lawyer's investigator with relevant defense matter than, it would be a travesty not to help.

Hang in there and have faith that your lawyer will do a fine job.

Andrew Blair Leventhal

Andrew Blair Leventhal


oh yes, forgot to mention I agree with all my fellow colleagues; please do not take this information and put it in your hands. You should do nothing other than tell the defense lawyer and investigator about the information so they can get the necessary leads for the ensuing investigation.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer