Is it possible for a judge to order someone to appear to a parole officer on an outstanding warrant from another state?

Spring, TX |

Pulled over for speeding Saturday in Memphis Tennessee & was arrested on an outstanding assault warrant from Texas (where they live). Had no idea about the warrant. They were on there way back to Ohio for the holidays. Spent the weekend in jail until today went before a judge & was ordered to return back to Texas for an appointment with a parole officer this Thursday.

1. I don't believe a magistrate can order you to appear in Texas. If you bonded out on the warrant you have a date to appear for the case you bonded out on.

If you had a parole warrant you would have what is known as a "Blue Warrant" and wouldn't be able to bond out. In that case you would be entitled to an extradition In Tennessee to determine if you should be extradited to Texas.

I'm not telling you to not report as the judge said. But, in my own opinion I don't believe the judge has any authority in Texas for anything other than telling you to report for your court date for the charge you bonded out on.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten
    State Wide Representation

AVVO attorney donate their time to answer questions for the public. If you believe an answer was helpful to you please click the helpful answer tab. It is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten
    State Wide Representation

2. A judge can order you to go back to Texas to to see a parole officer. They cannot enforce it, but he can do is arrest you and hold you in until Texas comes and gets you. This all hinges on there being an active warrant for your arrest at this time.

This answer is general information only and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action.