Is it okay to receive royalty checks from stock Photography websites while on an F1 student status?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cambridge, MA

What if I took the pictures before becoming a F1 student status, and am not receiving royalty for them? What about the scenario where I took pictures while in the US?

GAH, can't believe I made this typo, I mean't to say "...and am now receiving royalty for them..."

1. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . Very likely this would not constitute unauthorized employment, since it is not employment.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

1

1

Answered . This is a tricky issue.

First you ask about receiving royalty ... then you say you're not receiving royalty.

I would say that if you are paid into your foreign bank account and that the sales are infrequent ... you're probably OK.

If this is bringing in enough money to pay the rent .. (which, as a photographer myself, I know is difficult) you may have a problem.

Meet with an attorney and your foreign student adviser.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . If you took the pictures while on F-1 status, it could be considered unauthorized employment.