Is it okay to list an under the table job on a resume?

If someone has been working a side job for an individual (so it's not for a company or anything like that), and they were getting paid under the table, would it be okay for that person to list that job on their resume? Could the worker get in any sort of trouble if they did list a job like that on their resume? Assume the worker didn't make that much money (maybe a couple thousand) while working that side job for a year or so, if that makes any difference.

As long as you are not committing a fraud upon someone, it should make no difference whether you list a job where you did not report your wages. But if you list that job, be aware that there is a good chance a prospective employer will contact the employer you have listed as part of a background check. Hopefully, that employer will confirm you worked there. They may not admit you were an employee because if they were paying you under the table, that means they were cheating the government out of the required payroll taxes they should have taken out and they may not want to admit they broke the law.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

So, if someone wanted to post their resume on a job hunting site, and they listed that under the table job on their resume, that would be okay as long as they aren't lying about actually working at that job?

You can certainly list all jobs you have had whether they are side jobs or full-time jobs. You should tell the employer that you listed them and to be prepared for a call for the purpose of showing your qualifications. You do not have to tell them on the application how you were paid, but that it was just part-time when you could. As long as you actually did the work, and that shows your ability to do the work, you can list it. Just don't list anything about how much money you made which they don't usually ask. As far as the under the table, as long as you report that on your taxes, you are fine.