Is it okay to answer 'no' on a job appliation where it asks if I've been convicted of a crime?I have, but in the state of Hawaii

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I have been living in California for about 10 months. Am I still considered a resident of Hawaii? Isn't there something like having to live in a another state for two years before being considered a resident? It says on the application resident's of Hawaii do not answer.

1. Paul Henry Neuharth Jr

3

Answered . It is hard to go wrong by being truthful, particularly when it is so easy for potential employers to do a criminal background check. You may want to explore having an attorney in Hawaii clear up your criminal record.

2. Michael R Crosner

1

Answered . You should consult with a local employment law attorney before you complete the application. Many do not charge a fee for an initial consultation (Take advantage of their offer) Good luck

3. Neil Pedersen

Answered . Unless the question clearly asks about convictions in this state, you will be committing a misrepresentation on your application which will leave you open to termination the minute the company finds out about the misrepresentation. If you have a reason to sue your employer for certain acts of misconduct in the future, in several kinds of lawsuits it would be acceptable for the employer to set up the defense of misrepresentation on the application to defeat your lawsuit. If you are terminated for misrepresentation on your application in the future, you will likely not qualify for unemployment insurance benefits. In short, it is a really bad idea to lie on your application.

You become a resident of a state as soon as you move there with an intent to stay. Residence can be defined in different ways, such as establishing residency for purpose of attending a state-funded school, so that may be what you are thinking about. If you live here with the present intent to stay, you are a resident.

Good luck to you.

4. Darrel S Jackson

Pro

1

Answered . You should always answer questions truthfully on an employment application. The company may consider your criminal history, even if the conviction occurred in another state. Even if the conviction would not hurt you, lying on the application could keep you from getting hired. However, a criminal conviction should only be used to rescind an employment offer if the nature of the conviction is related to the nature of the work. For example, a child daycare center could reasonably refuse to hire someone with a child abuse conviction, but that same conviction should not preclude someone from working as a truck driver. The company should also consider how much time has passed since the conviction. Good luck.