Is it okay for your manager to chew you out in front of customers or crew, and constantly threaten your job?

Tucson, AZ |

My boyfriend is an assistant manager at a fast food chain and he has only called in twice because he's constantly being threatened to lose his job if he calls in or misses a meeting (which are always on his off days). I guess my questions are, is it okay for an employer to constantly threaten your job for needing to call in or missing a meeting?

Also, I'm curious if its legal for your boss to yell at you in front of customers or crew and threaten to fire you? Is this slander? And also tell you to shave or they'll fire you if theres no policy on facial hair?

Sorry one more question, his job has HR so should he call and complain about these things?

1. If he wants to call and complain to HR, he can. But, while it is bad management to publicly scold an employee, it is not illegal.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.