Is it ok to travel to my home country if I am a derivative asylee?

Houston, TX |

I am a derivative asylee through my mom and I wanted to go back to my country for few weeks. How should I proceed?

Any one who received status based on asylum risks losing it by traveling to their home country.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I agree with my colleague. Generally speaking traveling back to your home country may terminate your asylee status. Nevertheless, there may be options if your travel is due to a compelling reason. At any rate I believe you should consult an experienced immigration attorney before proceeding with your travel plans.

Best of luck!

The Law Office of Andrew Chung, PLLC. (832) 409 0117. Andrew@Chung-Law.com . The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.