Is it ok that my 6 year old son was watching his parents during the booking process and could hear and see all that was going on

Asked 8 months ago - Newburyport, MA

my 6 year old son watched as we were booked and sitting in our cells waiting for bondsman even though his aunt was there to get him he should not have been watching his parents we were both arrested for traffic violations they also questioned him

1. Estela Matta

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . Is it ok that you child saw you under those circumstances: NO. Is it unlawful or illegal for the police to allow the exposure: NO. It is unfortunate, but not a violation of your rights.

2. James Ostendorf

Pro

2

Answered . It isn't a violation of your civil rights for your son to watch you being booked. It may not have been good practice to have your son in a position where he would watch you being booked, but you don't have a claim against the police for having your son in a position where he could see the process.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

3

Answered . No, that is not ok. But what is it that you think can be done about it? When you commit traffic violations that can get you arrested and you have a child in the car with you, and the police have made sure that someone will pick the child up, what more are they supposed to do? Was what the cops did outrageous? Not on these facts alone.