Is it ok that my 6 year old son was watching his parents during the booking process and could hear and see all that was going on

Newburyport, MA |
Filed under: Civil rights

my 6 year old son watched as we were booked and sitting in our cells waiting for bondsman even though his aunt was there to get him he should not have been watching his parents we were both arrested for traffic violations they also questioned him

Is it ok that you child saw you under those circumstances: NO. Is it unlawful or illegal for the police to allow the exposure: NO. It is unfortunate, but not a violation of your rights.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice. Additionally, this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to obtain legal advice specific to your case, please consult with a local attorney

No, that is not ok. But what is it that you think can be done about it? When you commit traffic violations that can get you arrested and you have a child in the car with you, and the police have made sure that someone will pick the child up, what more are they supposed to do? Was what the cops did outrageous? Not on these facts alone.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

It isn't a violation of your civil rights for your son to watch you being booked. It may not have been good practice to have your son in a position where he would watch you being booked, but you don't have a claim against the police for having your son in a position where he could see the process.

Please note: any comments made on this website relate to general trends in law and are not to be understood as legal advice establishing a lawyer-client relationship. Please consult an attorney admitted in your jurisdiction before making any legal decisions. I am a licensed attorney only in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and in United States District Court for the District of Vermont. For more information about the New England Law Group, P.C. Please contact 401-316-0007 or www.lawgroupne.com

Civil rights topics