Is it ok for my children to stay home alone?

Asked over 2 years ago - Madison, MS

I live in MS, I am a single mother and have to work 2 jobs in order to make ends meet.....that means I get off from my day job at 5 and then go to my night job until 10 or 10:30....my children are 12 & 14....is it legal for them to stay home alone without an adult?

1. Mary Elizabeth Milek

1

Answered . I completely agree with Attorney Brown. I would only add that in the event of a custody battle, this would be very difficult to defend. Also, if something were to happen to the children and DHS got involved, again, you would be in an extremely difficult situation.

2. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

1

2

Answered . I am not aware of a specific law that sets an age limit for leaving a child home alone. The age at which it is safe to leave a child home alone varies considerably and depends upon each child's level of judgment, maturity and all other relevant circumstances. Thus, it is up to the discretion of the parents. If you feel it is safe, appropriate and necessary, then it probably is. I suggest you ensure that there is an adult nearby who the children can reach out to in an emergency and that you review the "house rules" and safety procedures frequently. Good luck!