Is it normal to take over a year to seal a juvenile record?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I hired an attorney to help seal my records last year in March 2012 and I gave him a call a three months ago to see if there's any progress. He said that my petition is still being processed and the delay may be due to the budget cuts in the juvenile court system. I also called the court to confirm whether or not he filed my petition. The clerk told me that he did file a petition for me so I am not worried about being scammed by him. However, I am just wondering if it's normal to take over a year to seal a juvenile record. I've read that process generally takes anywhere from 6-8 months. From what other attorneys told me, there shouldn't be a problem for the judge granting my petition. When should I expect a letter from the court? If anyone can give me some feedback, that would be great.

1. Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg

Pro

4

Answered . It does seem rather long but you should be advised that beginning this coming July whole courthouses are being closed, staff laid off and cases reassigned meaning longer waits in general. At many courthouses the criminal clerks do not answer the phone due to " budgetary" constraints. Ask your attorney to follow up. Good luck.
    www.losangelesdefenders.com

2. Wade Jonathan Skalsky

Pro

2

Answered . Unfortunately there is not much you can do to speed up the process at this point. Once your attorney has filed the petition, it is in the courts hands. The wheels of justice turn slowly, as they say. This can be incredibly frustrating for normal people who do not deal with the system every day. Just try or be patient (easier said than done). From what you have described you have a good chance of success. The wait will be worth it. Good luck.