Is it normal to take over a year to seal a juvenile record?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I hired an attorney to help seal my records last year in 2012 and I gave him a call a few days ago to see if there's any progress. He said that my petition is still being processed and the delay may be due to the budget cuts in the juvenile court system. I also called the court to confirm whether or not he filed my petition. The clerk told me that he did file a petition for me so I am not worried about being scammed by him. However, I am just wondering if it's normal to take over a year to seal a juvenile record. I've read that process generally takes anywhere from 6-8 months. From what other attorneys told me, there shouldn't be a problem for the judge granting my petition. I am just a bit worried about this situation. If anyone can give me some feedback, that would be great. Thank you.

1. Richard Franklin Taub

Pro

1

Answered . That is indeed a long time. However, since you confirmed that the petition has been filed, it probably is due to the court's delay. Did you find out when the petition was filed. If there was no delay in filing he petition, then it is mostly out of your hands. Your counsel probably also "tickled" the division clerk to find out what is holding up the process.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

Answered . It's a bureaucracy with little oversight so it does take awhile. Be nice to the clerk when you call since you want to remain on their good side. I wish you the best.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
    (800) 409-7010

3. Donald Gray Drewry

Answered . The court system has lost about $200,000 a year for the last 5 years. They have closed several courts and laid off a lot of clerks. Those that remain, are forced to do 4 times the work that they use to do. This sounds like you are in that type of situation and the fact that your lawyer has filed, he is helpless at this point too. It should go through once it gets to the limited resources of the court, so be sure to stay out of trouble or it could be denied. Good luck.