Is it normal to be called for the 10 year green card interview when we didn't have an interview for the conditional one ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I am married to a USC and we had the first interview in my country , then I came here and filed to adjust my status and everything went fine and they didn't call us for the interview and I got my conditional green card,now its time to apply for the 10 year one but we were called for the interview ! I have asked a few people and they all were interviewed for the conditional GC but not the permanent one ,Is it a normal situation ?or something went wrong, we have been living together for two years now

1. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

5

Answered . It isn't unheard of, but I would suggest having an attorney with you at the interview to be safe.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

5

Answered . I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney, go over the I-751 Petition that was submitted, and perhaps prepare other documents to present at the interview. It might prove to be well worth the time and money at this time to focus on getting an approval of the I-751. Best of luck.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . We may both agree on a logical notion that there is no such thing as normalcy as applied to each individual adjustment case with the USCIS. Why?
    Because in the course of adjustment certain procedural variables may arise that invariably may lead to an in person interview for one or another reason, such as additional inquiry, clarification or explanation.
    Also, it is highly advisable to consult with a good immigration counsel prior to the interview.

4. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . It happens.

5. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

4

Answered . Sure it can happen. Have an immigration attorney help you review all the records and prepare for it.

6. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It does happen and it is best to consult an immigration attorney.

7. Khaja M. Din

Pro

3

Answered . It does happen. I would recommend taking copies of everything you have submitted to an attorney to review before taking on the interview.

Best,

Khaja M. Din, Esq.
    Din Law, LLC
    (312) 361-8462
    www.DinLaw.com

Free Initial Consult For All Your Immigration Questions

8. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . Yes, it's normal.

9. Richard Michael Green

2

Answered . It is not outside the range of possibility to be interviewed on the peititon to remove conditions on residence. The immigration service has the right to interview you. The generally call conditional green card holders in for an interview when they have not received enough documentary evidence that the marriage was entered into in good faith. They also will interview if they have reason to believe that the marraige is fraudlent. You and your spouse might want to consult with competent immigraiton counsel to prepare for this interview.