Is it normal for an insurance fraud agent to show up at your door after a car accident?

Estero, FL |

I was recently in a car accident in which both sides claimed through their insurance. An agent from GEICO insurance fraud left a card at my door. I called him and he questioned me! Could I be in trouble or is this a precautionary thing?

1. Call a personal injury atty for a consultation. If you want I'm available to chat more. My advice is don't talk to anyone else until you speak with an atty.

2. Consult a local personal injury attorney - many offer free initial consultations. Call an attorney BEFORE giving any statements etc

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

3. Speak with an attorney before giving a statement to the insurance company.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Jonathan D. Marx and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney

4. You also may need a criminal defense attorney. The fraud investigators can be very aggressive. I am currently defending several insurance fraud cases. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

5. Yes, you could be in trouble. Do not speak any further to the insurance agent from Geico fraud until you have retained an attorney. Best of luck.

This is only an Avvo answer. I am not getting paid to give this response and am basing this response only on the information provided to me in the above question.

6. Don't make any statements without having discussed this with one of the above lawyers in your state.

7. It's a red flag. Who was at fault? What injuries are you claiming?

8. It means the carrier suspects something is not right. Sending a fraud investigator to visit you is very unusual. Get a lawyer to represent you ASAP.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

9. This is unusual.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

10. I am not surprised. Clients of mine have told me that individuals from the insurance company have shown up trying to get them to settle for nominal value before hiring an attorney.

The information provided is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between myself and the user or browser.

11. No, it is not normal. Do not give an written or recorded statements of any kind. You need to contract an attorney before you talk to either insurance company.

12. Although I agree that talking to an attorney is a good idea, you do not say whether GEICO is your carrier or the other driver's. The investigator may have nothing to do with your side of the accident. You need to say what you were questioned about. I think all of the other answers jumped the gun. If you have nothing to hide, you can talk to an investigator about the accident but it is a good idea to have legal representation if you are making an injury claim or there is contested liability.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice in a lawyer/client relationship. Misunderstanding of the answer or use of the answer for any illegal purpose is not the responsibility of the writer. The answer to any question in the Avvo website is constrained by the limited content of the question, an incomplete description of the facts underlying the question or a wrongful motivation for the question.