Is it normal for a GAL to communicate with one party regularly but not return calls or emails even once to the other party?

Asked over 1 year ago - Green Bay, WI

Seeking placement of my boys for many reasons including behavior-horrible aggression, emotional problems, social struggles, unsupervised play, etc. (She isn't bad but had a really abusive childhood (so few emotional resources) and has had two more children after ours with a dead-beat, and our kids are paying the consequences for what she doesn't have time for.) We were appointed with a GAL who seemed concerned (we created a list of serious concerns that we left her with at the end of our 1 interview). For 3 months, we have heard nothing from her. She is waiting on results of her requested ADHD eval. (*to explain kids' struggles) to wrap up an investigation that she hasn't even begun. (No follow up with me, neighbors, school, etc.) Mom has spoken with her (she says) many times.

1. R. S. Missimer

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . One of the reasons you hire a local attorney is that they know the GALs that work for the county. When these GALs are assigned you have a shot period of time to ask for a substitution. They will knos who to substitute on. It is part of what they do.

To your question YES, I have seen this happen before, it can be a bad thing, but usually does not happen when you are represented. On the other hand you may be coming off badly if you are not represented. It is very hard to depersonalize the issue when you are that close.

2. Tajara Dommershausen

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Missimer but it could also be that she doesn't need addition information from you. You told her all your concerns, she is investigating you. No one said anything bad about you so she doesn't need any follow up with you but still needs stuff from mom to determine whether your concerns warrant a substantial change in circumstances and a placement change. Has the GAL talked to your kids?