Is it necessary to obtain a county or state business license for an LLC providing professional services?

Asked 9 months ago - Frederick, MD

What state or county business licenses, if any, does one need to operate an LLC in Frederick County, Maryland? The single-member LLC provides professional public relations/communication SERVICES, not goods. Thank you!

1. Charles R Smith

5

Answered . Hopefully you will get a better answer, but I highly recommend that you establish a relationship with a local business attorney. Typically if an LLC is providing a class of professional services for which a license is required, you must use a PLLC, but that is up to the governing board. LLC's and PLLC's generally do not need a professional license, but if a license is required it is up to the individuals performing the service to be licensed. The LLC probably does need a local business license, and you need to know whether any sales or use tax applies to your service. Good luck in your business.

2. Michael T Warshaw

5

Answered . The answer will be found in your local governments - municipal, county and state. They set the requirements. To my knowledge, there is no federal licensing requirement to provide the services you describe. Likewise, there should be no "professional" licenses required. If your services get results, you will succeed. Good Luck. The best answer is to retain a local attorney who deals with business issues. I kn ow that in NJ, there would be no license requirements.

3. Ali Herischi

2

Answered . Generally speaking, in Maryland you don't need a license for public relations services, unless you are dealing with political campaigns and certain fundraising. In any case you should provide a full description of your services to an attorney for evaluation.

4. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

2

Answered . DLLR is the agency in MD that handles professional services licensing. My understanding is that PR services would not require a license. If you are lobbying, there may be other rules that could apply to your lobbying activities however. In any event, you should work with a business attorney to help properly form your LLC and protect your business, in general. Best of luck.

5. M. Todd Miller

2

Answered . Contact the local authorities for their specific rules regarding license requirements. Normally professional services are exempt.