Is it necessary to obtain a county or state business license for an LLC providing professional services?

Frederick, MD |

What state or county business licenses, if any, does one need to operate an LLC in Frederick County, Maryland? The single-member LLC provides professional public relations/communication SERVICES, not goods. Thank you!

Hopefully you will get a better answer, but I highly recommend that you establish a relationship with a local business attorney. Typically if an LLC is providing a class of professional services for which a license is required, you must use a PLLC, but that is up to the governing board. LLC's and PLLC's generally do not need a professional license, but if a license is required it is up to the individuals performing the service to be licensed. The LLC probably does need a local business license, and you need to know whether any sales or use tax applies to your service. Good luck in your business.

The above "answer" is for discussion purposes only and is neither intended as legal advice nor to create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is not created until after an in person consultation and I agree in writing to provide representation. I am licensed solely in the state of Arizona. You should consult with a knowledgeable attorney in your jurisdiction.

The answer will be found in your local governments - municipal, county and state. They set the requirements. To my knowledge, there is no federal licensing requirement to provide the services you describe. Likewise, there should be no "professional" licenses required. If your services get results, you will succeed. Good Luck. The best answer is to retain a local attorney who deals with business issues. I kn ow that in NJ, there would be no license requirements.

The content of the this submission is intended to provide general information on the topic presented, and is offered with the understanding that the author is not rendering any legal or professional services or advice. This submission is not a substitute for legal advice. Should you require such services, retain competent legal counsel.

Contact the local authorities for their specific rules regarding license requirements. Normally professional services are exempt.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

Generally speaking, in Maryland you don't need a license for public relations services, unless you are dealing with political campaigns and certain fundraising. In any case you should provide a full description of your services to an attorney for evaluation.

DLLR is the agency in MD that handles professional services licensing. My understanding is that PR services would not require a license. If you are lobbying, there may be other rules that could apply to your lobbying activities however. In any event, you should work with a business attorney to help properly form your LLC and protect your business, in general. Best of luck.

I focus my practice on (video) gaming industry, casino gambling, and complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. I primarily represent game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies. The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

State, local, and municipal law topics