Is it my landlord responsiblity to treat my apartment to get rid of bed bugs

Richmond Hill, NY |

I lived in a one bedroom apartment, in a private house which has three apartment including my landlords

Dear Tenant:

The Owner, Landlord, or other person in control of a building in New York City is the party responsible for the eradication of infestations and elimination of insects.

In a multiple dwelling such as the building you live in bed bugs may be located throughout the building and a comprehensive professional building wide extermination program is the surest means to succeed, and only the landlord or owner or person in control of the building may arrange for a full building extermination.

Read more at:

You may also read the Guides at my AVVO profile.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Typically it is the Landlord's responsibility. This should be treated as a though the entire building is infested.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

It is the property owner and their building management, if any, who are charged with the duty in New York City to remove bed bugs from your apartment. The New York City Health Department as well as the building department will assist in the removal and deal with a landlord that is failing to address the bed bug issue. Please be aware that bed bugs carry many diseases and illnesses and you should seek the appropriate medical intervention. If you have the opportunity to photograph as well as capture some of the bed bugs in a jar that is easily sealed you will then have proof of the infestation.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant