Is it my landlord responsiblity to treat my apartment to get rid of bed bugs

Asked over 1 year ago - Richmond Hill, NY

I lived in a one bedroom apartment, in a private house which has three apartment including my landlords

1. Steven Warren Smollens

2

Answered . Dear Tenant:

The Owner, Landlord, or other person in control of a building in New York City is the party responsible for the eradication of infestations and elimination of insects.

In a multiple dwelling such as the building you live in bed bugs may be located throughout the building and a comprehensive professional building wide extermination program is the surest means to succeed, and only the landlord or owner or person in control of the building may arrange for a full building extermination.

Read more at:

http://home2.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/vec...

You may also read the Guides at my AVVO profile.

2. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

2

Answered . Typically it is the Landlord's responsibility. This should be treated as a though the entire building is infested.

3. Joseph Gerard Dell

Pro

1

Answered . It is the property owner and their building management, if any, who are charged with the duty in New York City to remove bed bugs from your apartment. The New York City Health Department as well as the building department will assist in the removal and deal with a landlord that is failing to address the bed bug issue. Please be aware that bed bugs carry many diseases and illnesses and you should seek the appropriate medical intervention. If you have the opportunity to photograph as well as capture some of the bed bugs in a jar that is easily sealed you will then have proof of the infestation.