Is it more advisable to file i485 in front of IJ or with USCIS when in Removal Proceedings.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hyattsville, MD

I was placed under removal proceedings about a year and half ago. My fiancee and I got married after that, we filed an I130 and it was recently approved. My next court hearing is in January. In your experiences, is it more advisable to file the i485 in court with IJ or file a motion to have the removal proceedings terminated first and then file it with USCIS? Which one gets adjudicated faster?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . That entirely depends on the particular judge, particular ICE local policy and the strategy that your attorney chooses to employ. I presume you do have legal representation, for it would be foolish not to.

Good luck!

2. Philip Alan Eichorn

6

Answered . How fast your adjudication on the i-485 should not be the primary consideration. Instead, you should recalibrate your thinking and determine which is best for you based on admissibility issues, strength of relationship and the nature of the underlying removal proceedings. Include in your determination, you ability to handle cross examination by the DHS trial attorney and the record of your immigration judge on similar cases.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . You don't have a choice ... the Immigration Judge has 100% control over the I-485.

Get a lawyer to smooth out the process.

4. Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

3

Answered . Cases before the IJ are usually faster in Baltimore, depending on the judge.