Is it mandatory to respond to Blue Shield's (health care insurance) request for additional car insurance info for a car accident

Asked about 1 year ago - Pacifica, CA

I was deemed at fault for a car accident and my medical insurance (Blue Shield) paid for the ER bills. My car insurance paid out the maximum medical coverage on my policy. The amount provided by my car insurance covered the deductible on my medical insurance. However, Blue Shield is now requesting for info on my car insurance since the medical bills were due to a car accident. Am I required to provide my car insurance info to them if the deductible has already been paid? Will there be any repercussions if I do not respond to the letter requesting for more info? What steps should I take to get this issue resolved? Thank you for your help in advance!

Pro

12

Answered . If you don't respond, one of their agents may call you. You are not getting a settlement from the other insurance company, so it doesn't affect you by telling them, and by the terms of your policy, you should cooperate with them.

2. Matthew Paul Krupnick

10

Answered . The short answer is that you most likely do not have to provide them with any info. Generally, if you were going to make a claim and recover money from the third party then they would be entitled. But in your case, I see no reason for you to have to jump through their hoops. You may want to read your insurance policy to be safe though.

3. David Lee Fiol

10

Answered . I would suggest you ask the folks at Blue Shield for a copy of the contract provisions that make the amount of medical payments coverage you received relevant. If and when you receive that documentation, consider running it by an attorney: the contract may not be enforceable under the facts of your particular case.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

10

Answered . It is a good idea to review you policy with a PI attorney before you give them any information. Generally, if you are making a claim against a third party and your insurance provided payments for your medical bills, they are entitled to subrogation. Best of luck.

5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

7

Answered . Your car insurance for medical payments coverage is primary and Blue Shield would be secondary. If your primary coverage has been exhausted, ask your car insurance company for an exhaustion letter and provide that to Blue Shield . If your insurance through your car is not exhausted, I suggest you provide Blue Shield with the information they ask for and make sure that your car insurance pays on all the bills before any are submitted to Blue Shield.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.