Is it mandatory ro provide me ex-spouse a copy of my paycheck stub frequently?

Novato, CA |

I was persuaded by my lawyer to provide a copy of my paycheck stub to my ex-spouse every few months. I feel like this is an invasion of privacy. She also agreed to provide hers, which doesn't mean anything because she's unemployed.

Generally speaking, you are not required to provide your pay stubs to the other party. Check your order and see if it requires you to do so (which I doubt). There is a mechanism by which one party can request an updated Income and Expense Declaration once per year on a post-judgment matter, but I agree that it is burdensome to have to provide your pay stubs every few months to the other party, unless there is a Ostler-Smith order in effect. Good luck.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

If such term (providing pay stubs) is part of a court order (including a Stipulation and Order that you agreed to), then yes, that term is now a court order. If not a court order, then no.

You can always seek modification of a court order. Best to discuss modification with the lawyer that helped you in the first place. You can always get a second opinion, as you've done here. However, any other lawyer would need more facts, including a copy of the order (or Stipulation and Order) to give proper advice.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights