Is it mandatory ro provide me ex-spouse a copy of my paycheck stub frequently?

Asked about 1 year ago - Novato, CA

I was persuaded by my lawyer to provide a copy of my paycheck stub to my ex-spouse every few months. I feel like this is an invasion of privacy. She also agreed to provide hers, which doesn't mean anything because she's unemployed.

1. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

2

Answered . Generally speaking, you are not required to provide your pay stubs to the other party. Check your order and see if it requires you to do so (which I doubt). There is a mechanism by which one party can request an updated Income and Expense Declaration once per year on a post-judgment matter, but I agree that it is burdensome to have to provide your pay stubs every few months to the other party, unless there is a Ostler-Smith order in effect. Good luck.

2. Michael John Apicella

Answered . If such term (providing pay stubs) is part of a court order (including a Stipulation and Order that you agreed to), then yes, that term is now a court order. If not a court order, then no.

You can always seek modification of a court order. Best to discuss modification with the lawyer that helped you in the first place. You can always get a second opinion, as you've done here. However, any other lawyer would need more facts, including a copy of the order (or Stipulation and Order) to give proper advice.