Is it malpractice for an attorney to defend against a completely frivolous claim (Knowing it was frivolous)?

Asked 12 months ago - Alpharetta, GA

I filed contempt against my ex for non-payment of alimony and a lump sum property settlement. My ex filed a counterclaim to modify or set aside the property settlement. My attorney did not object to the counterclaim but told me it was inappropriate, yet she never once raised this to the court. instead she proceeded to participate in litigating this improper counterclaim and another issue that wasnt even in the pleadings. The ultimate cost to me for this rouge litigation was a loss of 262k. I was told (by another attorney) that an appeal would fail because my attorney conceded to litigate what was not in the pleadings and what was improperly raised within a contempt hearing. So, I have no recourse for my loss that was directly caused by this "inappropriate" litigation?

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

4

Answered . Your post does not make sense. First you say your ex filed a counterclaim and then you say the claim "wasn't even in the pleadings." You say it was improperly filed, but don't tell us why. Even frivolous claims have to be defended. You also did not tell us why, exactly, you lost the issue. The bottom line is that even if your post made complete sense, no one on a forum like this can second guess your lawyer or the outcome of a case based on a few sentences. Either see a legal malpractice lawyer or pay a lawyer for a few hours time to review your file and case and go from there.

2. David Edward Oles

Pro

1

Answered . Like doctors and other professionals, lawyers have wide discretion in deciding the proper course of action in any case. However, they are fiduciaries and must act in the best interest of the client. Whether that was done in a specific case requires a detailed evaluation of the facts of your situation. If you believe malpractice may have occurred, you should consult with an experienced professional malpractice attorney who can give you some specific advice on your situation. It may also help to get an opinion from an experienced family law attorney who can review the pleadings and help inform on what would be generally accepted procedure in your facts.

3. Robert G. Rothstein

2

Answered . Filing a counter-claim to modify or set aside portions of divorce decree does are not proper defenses and must be raised in a separate proceeding. That said, the remainder of your question required a sit-down with a domestic relations/litigation atty. for a review of the entire situation and pleadings filed in the case.