Is it mail theft or tampering?

Jacksonville, FL |

Due to a family dispute, I was forced to leave my mother's house. My younger brother lives next door to her. If he comes over to our mothers house and takes my mail that was delivered to my mother's house, does that constitute mail tampering or theft?

No, provided he is doing it with permission from both you and your mother.

John S. Riordan, Esq., is a partner with Kelley, Kronenberg, Gilmartin, Fichtel, Wander, Bamdas, Eskalyo & Dunbrack running the West Palm Beach Criminal Defense and White Collar Crime Division. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. He can be reached at (561) 886-2620 for a free consultation. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

No. As with any type of theft, taking someone else's property is only a crime when it is taken without their consent.