Is it logical to be afraid to drive after having an auto accident?

Asked about 3 years ago - Cabot, AR

I was recently in an auto accident when some guy hit me while on his cell phone and I'm still shaken up. I am not comfortable with driving like I once was. Is this normal? I literally am like a paranoid person now when driving near intersections or places where cars come out from. Is this normal or should I be suing for this type of traumatic damage? Please don't be rude or unprofessional or use sarcasm. I'm asking this because I am really freaked out now. Thank you in advance!

1. Garrett David May

1

Best Answer

Answered . What you describe is very common. I advise my clients that have symptoms of post traumatic stress syndrome to see counseling if it persists and they feel comfortable doing so. Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed, you've been through something traumatic, this is entirely normal for you to feel scared about getting back on the road after an accident.

Your emotional distress claim can be incidental to a physical injury or a stand alone claim. Documenting the emotional injuries via counseling will help the strenght of the claim as well as hope you cope. I think it is in your best interest to seek a qualified, local personal injury lawyer to help you navigate through your claim. Best of luck.

Pro

1

1

Answered . If you were physically injured, a personal injury lawyer can go after the insurance money.

.
  3. Eric Maxwell Overholt

Pro

Answered . Every person is different and reacts differently to traumatic circumstances. I have seen other people react this way after car accidents, so you are not alone. It sounds like you might benefit from seeing a doctor for some kind of post- traumatic stress or other disorder. You should consult with an attorney in your area to find out if this potential type of injury (to your psyche) is compensable in your jurisdiction.

4. Brian Curtis Pascale

Pro

Answered . Did you sustain a physical injury as well. In many states you cannot sue for psychological damages arising from an auto accident absent a physical injury. That being said, it is not uncommon for those types of injuries to develop. Speak to a medical professional.

5. Robert Daniel Kelly

Pro

Answered . It is very common for people who have been in car crashes to feel afraid about driving or riding in a car afterwards. You should see a health care professional to help you work through it, and you should call an attorney to obtain the financial compensation you are owed.