Skip to main content

Is it logical to be afraid to drive after having an auto accident?

Cabot, AR |

I was recently in an auto accident when some guy hit me while on his cell phone and I'm still shaken up. I am not comfortable with driving like I once was. Is this normal? I literally am like a paranoid person now when driving near intersections or places where cars come out from. Is this normal or should I be suing for this type of traumatic damage? Please don't be rude or unprofessional or use sarcasm. I'm asking this because I am really freaked out now. Thank you in advance!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


What you describe is very common. I advise my clients that have symptoms of post traumatic stress syndrome to see counseling if it persists and they feel comfortable doing so. Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed, you've been through something traumatic, this is entirely normal for you to feel scared about getting back on the road after an accident.

Your emotional distress claim can be incidental to a physical injury or a stand alone claim. Documenting the emotional injuries via counseling will help the strenght of the claim as well as hope you cope. I think it is in your best interest to seek a qualified, local personal injury lawyer to help you navigate through your claim. Best of luck.



Thank you so much!


Every person is different and reacts differently to traumatic circumstances. I have seen other people react this way after car accidents, so you are not alone. It sounds like you might benefit from seeing a doctor for some kind of post- traumatic stress or other disorder. You should consult with an attorney in your area to find out if this potential type of injury (to your psyche) is compensable in your jurisdiction.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice and an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction should be consulted on this answer and for any other questions that you may have. Further, by answering this question, an attorney-client relationship has not been created.


Did you sustain a physical injury as well. In many states you cannot sue for psychological damages arising from an auto accident absent a physical injury. That being said, it is not uncommon for those types of injuries to develop. Speak to a medical professional.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.



Yes, I injured my lower back as well.


It is very common for people who have been in car crashes to feel afraid about driving or riding in a car afterwards. You should see a health care professional to help you work through it, and you should call an attorney to obtain the financial compensation you are owed.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]


If you were physically injured, a personal injury lawyer can go after the insurance money.


John K Lassen

John K Lassen


extremely helpful website car accident lawyer philadelphia . . car accident attorney Philadelphia

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer