Is it likely to successfully file for expungement in Santa Barbara County from out-of-state following probation completion?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Barbara, CA

I received a wet reckless conviction in early 2010 and am nearing my probation completion. I have since relocated to New Jersey and would like to apply for expungement. Is the expungement process held in front a judge, meaning I would need representation in court, or would filing the form from out-of-state garner the same results? I would like to avoid even more legal fees if possible.

1. William Carlos Makler

4

Answered . Yes, you can mail it in. Go to www.sbcourts.org --> local forms --> 1203.4 petition.

2. Michael R Crosner

3

Answered . You do not have to appear. - I believe the court form can be downloaded from court web-site. If you have any problem, and you should contact a local S.B. attorney.

3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

3

Answered . You can mail it in. Follow the link Mr. Makler sent you. Please be aware that there is typically a $120 fee charged by the courts to process the application. Based on what you've described, hiring an attorney shouldn't cost you much more than $500, and should make the entire process much more smooth and efficient. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

4. Nicholas Milan Loncar

2

Answered . I would also add that an "expungement" in CA is not what many people think it is. The court will add "dismissed" to your docket after a 1203.4 dismissal, but the charges will still be there.

5. Brian Russell Michaels

Pro

1

Answered . You dont need an attorney to do it for you. Its just a form