Is it likely for probation officers to verify community service hours once the letters of completion have been turned in?

Asked over 2 years ago - Acworth, GA

I've completed a good deal of hours and have gotten a letter printed up on the letter head of the community service organization. However it's in my local community and I did not tell the community service provider that I was working toward completing my probation terms out of embarrassment. I'm worried that a call from my PO or a verification letter from the court will have news of my involvement with the system spread all over town.

1. Bert W. Cohen

Pro

Answered . If your letter looks cheesy or incomplete, that increases the possibility the probation officer will call. The simple solution for you is to explain your problem to the probation officer and ask him or her to use discretion. Probation officers have a high duty of confidentiality. In a perfect world they will disclose nothing but only verify the content of the letter.

2. Richard Scott Lawson

Pro

Answered . You could also have an actual time sheet attached to the community service. That could add to the credibility.