Is it libel if an opposing party attorney makes negative remarks about you via email..to your atty

Asked over 1 year ago - Raleigh, NC

Opposing council made very derogitory comments about me in an email to my attorney.

1. Vance Tate Davis

3

1

Answered . I agree with the prior answer. You need to keep your focus on the litigation at hand and avoid getting sidetracked with these kinds of issues, which are in some part probably revealing the frustration that the other side is feeling. If you let this get you worked up, how are you going to handle testifying in court? Again, trust in your lawyer to advocate for you and handle the legal issues...keep you eye on the prize and as they say, "never let them see you sweat."

2. Richard L. Huffman Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . No.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

3

1

Answered . No, it is privileged communications and it is often done by attorneys on the opposite sides. They sometimes lower themselves. Just consider the source.

4. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

1

Answered . Defamation (libel) must cause you damage in order to be legally actionable. These remarks, offensive as they may be, did not cause you damage. Your attorney did not buy into these statements, or change his/her opinion of you. Let it go and stay on task.

Litigation is a bloodsport -- something the "can I sue?" folks here on this site haven't figured out for the most part. Litigation proceeds can be the hardest money you will ever earn. I have been plaintiff, defendant, and advocate at various times, and I am convinced that digging ditches in a downpour is easier work than being a plaintiff in pitched litigation.

Pro

2

Answered . no