Is it libel if an employer puts on an employment verification letter that you were terminated if you were not?

San Diego, CA |

If you worked for a company and quit and they put on an employment verification letter that you were terminated is that considered libel if the employment verification was submitted to you in order to submit to another company and not sent directly to the company?

It probably is in California. Generally, things you say about yourself are not libelous. But California courts have recognized that people who is forced, for some reason, to repeat falsities that someone else has said about them have suffered injury just as much as those about whom the person says things directly.

The problem with defamation in these instances is showing that you were harmed: that you would have had the job but for the libel.

In many businesses and fields, the term "termination," as specifically used in an employment verification document, merely means that the period of employment ended on the date reported. Unless the form purports to define the reason for the ending of the employment relationship, or the nature of the end of the relationship, it is unlikely that the term "termination" on your document has a negative denotation or connotation and it is likely that use of this term in this context would not suffice for any defamation claim. Take your doc to a local employment attorney for a specific discussion in you believe that the form has a larger message than reporting or verifying the dates of commencement and termination of the employment.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

It may be defamatory IF the person who wrote the document knew that the information was false and that the person or people who read it would believe it and rely on it and if it caused you damages (loss of job opportunity.) If it was a mistake or their opinion, it will not be libelous.

Recommended articles about Personal injury