Is it legal too be driving in your neighborhood with a golf cart?

Tallahassee, FL |

My sister and I got pulled over and the police told us that we wernt sopposted too drive on the road with a golf cart, and I'm trying too see if it's true.

Yes, it's true, because of safety issues. Some towns pass city ordinances (laws) that allow residents to drive golf carts in town, but usually they restrict it to only side streets and not any major highways.

The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a LeadFootSpeedingTicket.com are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.

It is most likely true if you were driving on a public road. The citation you received from the police should tell you what florida statute number you violated or what city ordinance you violated. (If you were not within city limits, it might be a Leon County ordinance). If it's a state statute, you can go here to read state statutes - http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/

If it's a city ordinance for Tallahassee, you can go here to look up Tallahassee ordinances - http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=19980. Go to same place for county ordinances - just look up Leon County.

My answers on Avvo.com are intended to help clarify the legal process in your situation to the extent possible on this website. Criminal law can be very complicated and very serious. Every case is different and my answers are not intended to serve as legal advice unless so stated. If you have been charged with a crime you could be placed on probation or face incarceration. Please contact an attorney if you think you need legal advice in a criminal matter.

It also depends on who owns the roads in your neighborhood; if as my colleague stated, the road is a public road, then likely your town prohibits golf carts on public roads. If the roads a privately owned (by something like a homeowners' association), golf carts may be permitted.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

A golf cart with certain safety equipment may qualify as a "low speed vehicle" that can operate on public streets, if it is registered and insured.

There is a Florida statute that allows local governments to adopt ordinances to permit golf carts to operate on specifically designated public streets that have a speed limit of less than 35 miles an hour, with a number of limitations.

Here's a website with summary information.

You should not take this as legal advice regarding whether you can or cannot drive a golf cart in your neighborhood. If you have further questions, you might be able to call the City or County attorney's office to see if there are local ordinances that permit golf cart operation anywhere in Tallahassee or Leon County, or talk to a local attorney who can review the relevant local ordinances and the features of your golf cart.