Is it legal to work for a foreign company in f1 visa status?

Asked about 1 year ago - Washington, DC

I am in the U.S. with a student visa. A european company has asked me to do a project for them and get paid. Given the fact that they will pay me from outside of the U.S, is it legal to accept that? Is there anything I have to pay attention to? to make sure I won't get into trouble.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Answered . Yes, this scenario seems legal. Make sure not to be seen working with any US based personnel (if any) this Co. Might have.

2. Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski

2

1

Answered . The answer is likely not. If you are physically in the US doing something that could have been done by a US worker, then you cannot do such work, unless you have a work authorization. Even if you do not get paid.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369
    ismail@islawfirm.com
    www.islawfirm.com

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

1

Answered . No ... NO.

How you're paid isn't important. The important think is that you will be 'working' while on US soil.

Fly to Europe, do the work, and fly back ... no problem.

4. Stephen D. Berman

3

1

Answered . There is no law on the subject, but I would advise caution and not to do work in the U.S. that you get paid for, even if they are depositing the payments abroad.

5. J Charles Ferrari

2

1

Answered . You can only work while in the US, whether paid or unpaid, whether for an employer or self-employed, if that work is authorized by USCIS.