Is it legal to use partial data or information written in Amazon's customers reviews and use it in product review site?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

Example: If I analyze the customer reviews for the same blender on both Amazon and Best Buy. Assume 3 of 10 reviewers on Amazon said that the blender was "too loud" and 5 of 10 reviewers on Best Buy said the blender was "too loud". Is it legal for me to aggregate/summarize that information and say 8 of 20 people thought the blender was "too loud"? If Amazon's customer reviews are not copied verbatim is it copyright infringement?

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

7

Answered . Q: "Is it legal for me to aggregate/summarize that information and say 8 of 20 people thought the blender was 'too loud'?"
    R: Yes.

Q: "If Amazon's customer reviews are not copied verbatim is it copyright infringement?"
    R: The answer depends on how much and how many of the reviews are copied. Only your own copyright attorney can evaluate what you intend to do and provide you with actionable advice.

2. James Juo

4

Answered . In addition to Attorney Ballard's excellent response, I also add that it does not appear that Amazon claims to own the copyright to reviews posted by customers on its website. In particular, Amazon's terms of use state that persons who post reviews on the website "grant Amazon a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any media." Such a license would be unnecessary if Amazon owned that content. So it appears that the copyright is owned by the persons who posted them.

3. Pamela Koslyn

3

Answered . To add to my colleague's responses, I'd note that no matter what Amazon's site or Best Buy's site says at any given time, those sites aren't static, so anything you attempt to aggregate would necessarily be time sensitive and subject to any change in those site's content.

Thus, reliance on any other sites would be a hazard for you, not because of copyright infringement risk, but because of the likely inaccuracy of your analyses as those sites add reviews.

4. Dennis Morgan

3

Answered . The three above answers are all very good. I just want to add that, if you plan to develop a website that does this kind of aggregation, and you are serious about launching it, you should strongly consider consulting a lawyer to help you design your service to be consistent with the various legal regimes governing media. If you are paraphrasing any reviews, that raises copyright issues. If you allow users to add reviews or aggregate their own, that raises DMCA and CDA issues. If your information becomes out of date or incorrect, that raises potential defamation issues. Tread carefully.

Please note: this is not legal advice, should not be relied upon, and I am not your lawyer unless you hire me. Good luck!