Is it legal to use an autodialer and a recording to threaten someone with a summons?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

Over the last several months, I've received a number of autodialer based calls with a recording that states someone is going to serve me with a summons that I must make myself available for.

I was able to identify the calls as recordings as I sent the numbers to voice mail, and noticed how the message starts in the middle, finishes, and immediately loops back to repeat the message -- a lack of normal human behavior.

What are my rights in a situation like this?

What can I do to stop this, as the calls are unnerving and upsetting?

1. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleagues: this is at worst a total scam and at the very least, a violation of one or more Federal and/or Florida statutes. A complete response to your inquiry would exceed the limits of this forum. You really should consult with an attorney who understands these consumer cases. You can find attorneys who do this at www.NACA.net under the "Find An Attorney" tab. With many (if not most) of these cases, the consumer (you) will pay no out-of-pocket attorneys' fees. Good luck!

2. Eric J Trabin

Answered . Sounds fake to me. Besides, being served with a summons isn't really a threat, it's merely the first step in litigation. Contact your service provider to see if you can block the number.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.
  3. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Beware of scams. Get called ID. Do not answer any phone call you don't recognize.