Is it legal to try and cause financial hard ship to get someone to quick there job?

Oviedo, FL |

I had an accident at work 3 yrs ago; I’ve been in and out of my job as surgeries were done. I have been released finally to full duty as of June 11, 13 with restrictions; none of the restrictions get in the way of me doing my job. My W/C checks stopped on that date, my employer hasn’t made up his mind if he is taking me back yet. I believe he is trying to cause me financial hardship to get me to quit. Is that legal for him to do this? It’s been 3 weeks since I have had a paycheck.

get me to quit and get a different job.

You need to go talk to a worker's compensation attorney. Your question implicates both worker's compensation and unemployment compensation law, but I believe in this instance worker's compensation law is primary. If he is retaliating against you for filing a claim that is not legal. There may be other issues also. Set up some appointments with WC attorneys to find out your rights.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

You have fallen into a common trap used by almost all employers and their WC carriers. You must get a WC lawyer immediately or you will have no job and no case.

Sincerely,
Robert Shapiro
Miami
305-373-1099
Advocate1@comcast.net

If you think you can demonstrate that his decision to stop paying you was substantially (but not necessarily totally) motivated by the fact that you claimed workers' comp benefits, then you should talk to an attorney about suing for w/c retaliation, which would be a court proceeding outside of the w/c system for separate damages. Also, note that the employer's failure to pay wages owed is usually grounds to separate from the employer without jeopardizing entitlement to unemployment comp benefits. You should definitely seek out an employment attorney with w/c experience to discuss u/c benefits, a possible unpaid wages suit, and the status of your w/c case.