Is it Legal to tape record a conversation without the other person's knowledge?

Colorado Springs, CO |
Filed under: Civil rights

Is it Legal to tape record a conversation without the other person's knowledge? If so, could it be used as evidence in court or in an Arbitration hearing with FINRA?

Colorado is a "one-party" state, meaning that to be admissable as evidence in a court, only one party to a conversation needs to know of the recording - and that can be the person doing the recording so I think the answer is yes. In my state, the answer is no because a minority of states like Illinois require "two-party" (meaning all parties to the recording) consent.

See my Legal Guide Recording Conversations in Illinois

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/recording-conversations-in-illinois

You need a lawyer because I do not practice in CO (I am in Chicago, IL). Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details. As I said, I think Colorado is a "one-party" state, meaning that to be admissable as evidence in a court, only one party to a conversation needs to know of the recording - and that can be the person doing the recording. Again, check with a lawyer in your locale.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Civil rights topics