Is it legal to take pictures of people on private property

Merrill, WI |

is it legal to take a picture of my ex husband on his property from the road without his consent to ensure my child is being attended to?

Generally the standard is that you can not violate someone's reasonable expectation of privacy. It you are not trespassing, and you take a picture of someone in the front yard all is well, if you have to look over a privacy fence you crossed a line.

Every legal matter is fact specific, and there are often nuances in every case. This is intended for comment only, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

It might be worthwhile to consult a local lawyer with this issue. I assume that you believe your child is not getting appropriate care or attention from your ex. If you can get the photos from the road - it may be OK. If you have to trespass, etc....probably not.

If you suspect problems with your ex's care of the child, consult a local lawyer to find out the necessary evidence you would need to remedy the situation. The photos you seek may or may not achieve the goal you seek.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights