Is it legal to start a privately owned and operated lottery in WA State?

Seattle, WA |

I'm contemplating starting a lottery in WA State. Is this legal?

1. Private lotteries are illegal everywhere in the US. Only states are permitted to run a lottery.

The above response is for general education and information and does not constitute a legal advice. Please consult with an attorney. For online, mobile and advertising law, contact http://www.web20lawyer.com

2. Short answer: No. The Gambling Commission of the state of Washington governs these types of things. But, if you are doing it for a charitable organization you might refer to RCW 9.46 which is the Washington State Gambling Act.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here

Gaming law topics