Skip to main content

Is it legal to start a actual money online casino offshore or in another country outside the United States?

Chicago, IL |

If I am a United States citizen and wanted to start an online casino in another country and collect my income from a bank in the same country the online gambling site for actual money is in, is this legal to do? Do I have to move to the country I start the offshore casino in or can I remain in the United States? Please give me some idea if I can remain in the United States or if I have to move permanent to the country the online casino is in. How much might it cost to start an online casino offshore?

Can I operate the online casino from the United States in an Offshore country or do I legally have to move to the country the online casino is in to operate and collect income from the online casino? Can I also do this with offshore online and offline lottery business, remain in the United States while the lottery company is offshore?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You don't need to move offshore, you only need to start a company offshore and have them hire you to do the work.

This is an extremely regulated business. Do Not attempt to begin without seeking legal advice! Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.


Attorney Jaffe has given you the direction you need.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


As my colleague mentioned it is a very regulated industry with strict regulations around the wire act; money laundering and such. Many individuals have tried and have ended up facing the federal prosecutions. check Netteller. Bodog etc...

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney of your choice. The response given is not intended to create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice.


It is possible to do with some assets offshore. You do not need to by physically located outside the U.S., although obviously doing so makes it harder (not impossible, just more annoying) to come after you. This is, as noted, a highly regulated area. When I advise my gaming clients, I tell them that the gaming business involves risk. Gambling is built around risk, and as an operator, your risk is that you can potentially face serious criminal penalties (felony charges) and huge fines if you screw things up. You absolutely should take the time and spend the money to retain counsel to guide you through this process, and to represent your gaming business in the future. It is not an area that you want to skimp on.

I focus my practice on (video) gaming industry, casino gambling, and complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. I primarily represent game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies. The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer