Is it legal to ski/snowboard on streets? Does the speed limit apply?

Seattle just got hit with a bunch of snow and I was considering busting out my skis on some streets... is that legal? If it is legal, does the speed limit apply? Granted all of this is probably moot since the police are far to busy to ticket me for skiing even if it is illegal, but it's still good to know. thanks

Seattle, WA -

Jon Michael Zimmerman

Jon Michael Zimmerman

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Seattle, WA

You can ski and snowboard, but you can't impede traffic (if there is any) or violate other traffic laws (e.g., you must stop at stop intersections, you can't violate right of way laws, etc.).

Also, police regularly cite pedestrians and bicyclists for infractions, so there is no reason to believe that a person on skis or a snowboard would be treated differently. Have fun but be vigilant!

Erik P. Kaeding

Erik P. Kaeding

Criminal Defense Attorney - Kent, WA

Legal and no speed limit! There must be a god in heaven! You would be liable for damages to persons or property if you cause some damage, but that's the way it always is with skiing.