Is it legal to sell my insulin syringes to a friend?

Rome, NY |

I changed my method of insulin intake to an insulin pump rather than vial/syringe injection. I have two extra boxes of syringes (100 needles each). My friend said he would pay me $40 for them, is it legal for me to take this deal?

1. It is not legal to buy or sell a prescription medicine or device unless you are licensed to sell it. Return the items to the pharmacy and see if you can get a refund.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. No. ESAP in NYS does not enable you to do so, and the sales are governed by both statute and regulation. For more information contact the NYS Department of Health.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

3. I don't think so.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.