Is it legal to sell an item or try to sell an item in public?

For example showing something at the park or at a parking lot, or walking around with an item and telling people it's for sale if they ask about it. It wouldn't be a full blown operation but just a few personal items.

Is posting something on classifieds and meeting at starbucks ok?

1. You likely need a permit to conduct business on the street

2. You did not say what "personal items" or how many. It might make a difference. That sounds like street vending. Most ordinances require a license. Assume you do and check with the city clerk. If these personal items are fake merchandise, you have whole host of other potential problems.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

3. Hi,

It really will depend on what is in quesiton here. For example, in NY it is legal to sell used books without a vendors license (or at least it used to be). But other items like say accessories require a proper license and can only be done in certain areas.

You can probably check yourself online at the LA County level.

All the best,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 Support@LanternLegal.com DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

Business topics