Is it legal to post nude pictures of my ex girlfriend online or via txt without her consent when she personally sent them to me?

Carlsbad, CA |

she is 19 yrs of age.

It is probably technically legal, as long as she was over the age of 18 when the photos were taken and she consented to you taking and using the photos.
However, it is immature and ethically questionable.
And even if it is legal, it could start a whole bunch of issues for you that you might have to deal with, including investigations by state or federal agencies, civil claims, etc.

Yes it is illegal. Although she is of age to consent, she did not consent to public display/exposure/dissemination/publication of her pictures. She might have a case against you. She can try to sue you for defamation and various invasion of her privacy, etc. since she only consented to you seeing the picture NOT the public.

Whether she wins or not depends on the facts and if she can prove the elements. You might want to consult with an lawyer if she wines up trying to sue you... You should take it down immediately to mitigate the possible harm done to her reputation...etc.

Wendy Ha Chau

Wendy Ha Chau

Correction: if she can prove damages and the elements for those torts, she might decide to sue.

Extremely bad idea.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I agree with my learned colleagues. It may or may not be legal, but in any context this a direct request for trouble. If you posted pictures of my 19 year old daughter on the internet with, but especially without consent would have to decide what I would do as a lawyer I can several things I could and would do, as a father, brother, or new boyfriend I am thinking "hospital job" or something equally distasteful for you my friend and I would be sure you would never see it coming. Any any light I can't imagine why you would do this, other than she dumped you.

Legal or illegal it's trouble for you. Find a new girl. Take the higher path son.

Put it this way, I don't think you'll need a lawyer unless you do post the pictures.

Good Luck.

Legal disclaimer: I am not your attorney and we have no attorney/client relationship. This response is submitted for informational purposes only. This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be taken as such. Anyone considering the above referenced response and should always consult directly with an attorney within your jurisdiction before taking any action based on this, or any other information. This information is provided without any cost and therefore is worth what you paid for it. Again this information does not create any privileged attorney/client relationship and you are cautioned about information you convey to any person in a public forum considering your case, especially if it is criminal in nature. If you would like to consult with me you may contact me at (216)316-3161. I am admitted to practice in the State of Ohio and the State of Michigan.

Recommended articles about Personal injury